The buzz articles flying around at the moment are all about how the agency model is broken, and we agree.
Before we created our agency model, we looked deeply into why it is broken, and it comes down to one word… GREED.
I would have loved to have been around when those conversations happened between the client and the agency, when the agency said, ‘We can make it easy for you, we will put a big agency inside your marketing department’.
What the agency didn’t say was, ‘We are going to be doing the same amount of work, but you will be paying through your nose for it.’ They also didn’t say, ‘You’ll rarely see the Directors, but we will supply you with a load of cheap artworkers.’
Greed is killing our business. From MDs wanting a bigger pay packet, and agency heads looking after the shareholders so they themselves can win that big bonus.
To fix the agency model, we must first remember why we got into this mad crazy world we live and work in…
I got into it because I love creative ideas; I love the power of what we do and how it can affect people long after we create the idea. I had the great fortune to work with some extremely talented people when we rebranded The United Nations Volunteers – we all put more effort into it than the financial worth for one simple reason, what we were doing was going to make a significant and positive difference in people’s lives.
Our model is simple to understand:
- We are in it for the love of what we do
- Want open, honest and solid relationships?
- We know your issues can be hourly, daily, weekly or yearly – so we will adapt and support you
- We’ve got a great set of skills and experience and are not precious on which you use, or how you use us, just use us for the better of your brand.
- Finally, and let me put this in an honest sentence, we will not charge through the nose when it comes to you paying for our skills
Let’s get back to why we are doing this, which is to produce great work of which we are proud to say, ‘We did that’.
We do need to talk money, so be reassured great work is profitable for everybody.